TO: Grow Food Amherst Members and Friends
Last October, Grow Food Amherst sponsored a community potluck at the Bangs Center in celebration of National Food Day. We are asking for your help in planning an event or food related activity. This year’s Food Day themes are nutritional education, food justice and partnerships with local farmers!
You can help by joining us on Wednesday, June 18 at 7:00pm – 9:00pm at the Bangs Community Center (Room 101) and/or sharing the 2014 Food Day Meeting flyer with your friends and contacts.
In this meeting, we will share priorities for an improved food system, share ideas on ways to build off last year’s activities, and brainstorm on how your organization can use Food Day to promote your current work for a sustainable food system in Massachusetts.
Please RSVP to: Stephanie Ciccarello, Amherst Sustainability Coordinator at email@example.com or by phone (413) 259-3149.
Thanks for the help!
Food Day is a nationwide celebration of healthy, affordable, and sustainably produced food and a grassroots campaign for better food policies. Here is the 2013 campaign report. Massachusetts was #2 in the country with 640 activities!
Come to this meeting for an overview of what Food Day is, meet others who care about our food system and have fun networking with like minded people.
A few ideas from recent brainstorming sessions around the state:
- MA schools “Eat Real” 2014 challenge (over 340 schools did last year!)
- A statewide “Apple Crunch”
- Food Justice Summits and panels
- Farm tours and community activities with your local farmer
- Health center staff members hosting local food potlucks
- Cooking demonstrations and lessons
- Community youth groups hosting healthy education activities
- Food system forums and/or film screenings at town community centers
- College campus organizing (over 30 campuses participated last year!)