Our “100 Garden Challenge project was inspired by the 350 Home and Garden Challenge of Sonoma County, CA. Here are some of the background resources we used to develop this project in Amherst, MA.
- Overview of the Daily Acts Program in Sonoma County, CA
- Overview of the Homegrown Challenge (one of their projects)
- Summary of their 350 Home and Garden Challenge (a weekend of personal change)
- Guide to Community Organizing this project
- Project Report on their work
This work was funded partially through grants and business community support. It is more ambitious than the objectives we have discussed but it provides a model. Participants would register their intent to plant a new garden along with their name and address. This would be recorded, inventoried and included on a map of participants. Homeowners would then be invited to a free workshop on gardening. Here is one of the maps from the Sonoma County project.